This past weekend, a small group of us took a trip up to an abandoned mental asylum in Maryland. This asylum opened in 1926, and finally forced to shut their doors in 1991.
The 250 acre compound was occupied by roughly 20 buildings, including cottages, a kitchen, a theater, gym, hydrotherapy building, dorms, and various other hospital and educational buildings. As time elapsed, this place’s promising beginning crumbled and it a reputation as one of the worst places, where the only way out for many of its patients was a tiny basement morgue which was the last stop before an unmarked grave onsite. Today a monument headstone markes the site where almost 400 people are buried, and has been reported that the very same graves are occasionally uncovered by flooding and erosion.
The asylum was closed in 1991 by the Federal Government after a lawsuit reported hundreds of incidents of abuse, neglect, molestation, and theft. There were also reports of experimental medical testing on helpless patients who were forced into trials as human guinea pigs. There was pressure since 1976 to shut the doors, amid all the reports of abuse, neglect, and theft.