Abandoned Cooper School
Built in 1917, the J.W. Cooper High School would have been razed around 2012 if not for the community effort to save the historic structure.
(from the J.W. Cooper website)
Quoted from Preservation PA’s 2001 newsletter: “Originally scheduled to open in 1918, the 3-story stone school building located at the intersection of North White and East Lloyd Streets in the center of the Borough of Shenandoah, was commandeered and used as a temporary hospital and morgue during the flu epidemic of 1918, when the local hospital was unable to accommodate the large number of victims. In May 1919 the building was dedicated as the “new Shenandoah High School”. It was later renamed the J.W. Cooper High School in memory of the school’s first principal. The school remained in use until 1986 when it was replaced with a new facility.”
“Shenandoah was a coal mining community, which during the 1920’s and 1930’s has a population of 30,000 residents within its one square mile boundary, giving the borough the highest population per square mile of any municipality in the U.S. at that time. Tens of thousands of Shenandoans were educated within the walls of the Cooper High School and the school holds a significant place in the history and culture of the community.”